Mornington Street Bridge
The Mornington Street railway bridge was built by the London and North Western Railway circa 1900. It crosses the West Coast main line near Regent’s Park linking John Nash’s Park Village East with Camden Town. At each corner are cast iron lamp standards which were destroyed in WWII bombing.
Joint funding was raised by London Borough of Camden and English Heritage to restore the lanterns and lamp stands.
The lanterns no longer existed and so we used drawings from the period when the bridge was constructed to replicate the original lanterns.
This was a complex job as the original lamp stands had to be removed over the railway. Cages were erected to prevent debris falling onto the railway below. The stands were then transported to our workshop for repair and restoration before re installation and re connection of the new lanterns.