Gloucester Gate Bridge
Regarded as one of the finest bridges in London, Gloucester Gate Bridge was built in 1877 by William Booth Scott, Engineer for the Vestry of St Pancras, over the Regent’s Canal. Unfortunately, the Blitz’s bombing campaigns filled the canal with rubble and damaged one of the lantern pedestals beyond repair. The canal was built over, leaving the bridge intact.
In 2008, we were commissioned to restore the candelabra by the Heritage of London Trust, the London Borough of Camden, and English Heritage.
This project required very involved pattern making techniques in order to produce over 100 individual and very complex bronze castings. We produced new lanterns for all four pedestals and finally, the bronze work was patinated to add verdigris to the newly built pedestals.
Photo courtesy of Tobias Tuleby, Heritage of London Trust.